This is a short but historic piece of Tampa history before your eyes. It is about a very important building in Tampa. Originally built in 1842 this is the oldest home still around that was built in early 1800’s Tampa. It was originally built in downtown Tampa where the Old Tampa City Hall is today. The home was moved by rail to 3210 E 8th Ave in Gary Town, just east of Ybor City. One of the next early family’s to own the home, were the Stalnakers. Their son became Hillsborough County Judge Leo Stalnaker.
Today on the corner of East 34th Street & East Adamo Drive is a brick wall with the original Stalnaker’s Farm & Ranch Supply names still stenciled on it. This was the home to their local Farm and Ranch Supply Store. And today, after 122 years in business, it is still open. The Stalnaker Farm & Ranch Supply is relocated to 6902 Causeway Blvd. in Tampa.
This week the home was once again taken apart and is now moving to Hyde Park. A lot of wood dowels had to be taken apart in this historic home. The back room was removed and the roof was taken off in one piece. They too will be moved with the house. WOW if these walls could only talk!!! Read more here from reporter/ writer Paul Guzzo from Tampa Bay Times.